Cowabunga dudes and dudettes!
In the spirit of the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie I’d like to share some fun facts about pizza (TMNT’s favorite food). As many of you may know, the modern-day pizza originated in Naples, Italy and the circular bread topped with tomato sauce and cheese has been prominent around the world ever since. It also happens to be my son and boyfriend’s favorite food. This isn’t surprising news since 94% of Americans eat pizza regularly.
Other fun facts about pizza:
- In 1889, Pizza Margherita was created in honor of Queen Margherita, who strongly preferred her pie be covered in the colors of the Italian flag: red (tomato), green (basil), and white (mozzarella).
- October is National Pizza month in the U.S.
- Pizza derives from the Latin root word picea, meaning the blackening of crust by fire.
- Domino’s Pizza is the world leader in pizza delivery.
- The longest pizza delivery was from Cape Town, South Africa to Sydney, Australia. For more interesting facts, check out Pizza Fun Facts.